Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Closing June 28

It is with deep sadness that we, the Library Trustees and Staff, inform you that the Hubbardston Library as we currently know it will be closing Saturday, June 28.

The 600 people who voted NO for the override made a decision that affects the remaining 4000+ residents of Hubbardston. This means the Library is no longer funded through the Town budget including staff salaries. Many other Town services are cut as well, many of which will affect our public safety.

To those remaining 567 who supported the Library through their vote, THANK YOU! The override vote failed by a mere 34 votes.

The Library will be operating as usual through June 28. The future of the Library past that point is uncertain. With the loss of town funding, we will no longer be able to be a certified library. This means there will no longer be inter library loans and Hubbardston residents will lose the privilege of borrowing from other libraries.

Please check this site again soon for further details.

2 comments:

LauraMFoleyDesign said...

I cried this morning when I heard the news. I can't believe that after 40 years of using the Massachusetts library system I'm going to be barred from borrowing materials from neighboring towns. I go to the library every week and my sons' library bag has always been full of books. I feel like a my best friend just died...

Come to the Selectboard meeting at 6:00 next Monday, June 16, at the Slade Building and let them know that the library is a vital part of this and every community!!!

Anonymous said...

The blame for the library closing rests squarely on the shoulders of our town leaders who elected to lump the library and services into one take-it-or-leave it vote. I held my nose and voted for the override as did my wife. There are many people in this town who cannot afford the whole thing and had to vote accordingly. The library funding alone would have sailed through with scant opposition.

I have lived in Hubbardston for all but ten of my seventy two years and I hope that the means will be found to continue the library operation